Monday, July 15, 2013

Gathering Greetings from Colorful Colorado

No work and all play this week has made my gathering task over the top enjoyable. I went out for a 2 hour hike above the town of Buena Vista this morning. I climbed above the Arkansas River rapids onto an old railway and then up again to the rocky and steep hillside about BV.

 This is the scenic view from my side of the river over to Mount Yale, covered in heavy clouds this morning. The town of BV down below.

 My focus on environments and terrain has been changing and brewing in my head. I've started to really focus on finding patterns in nature that I'm drawn to. The patterning of lichen on rock has been catching my eye all week. I've taken way too many photos of different patterns and colored lichens. I love the way it resembles marbled paper. It also has a painterly quality that I'd like to mimic. I'm going to town today to find a watercolor set so I can paint in my sketchbook tonight.



My hike provided pine cone varieties a plenty. I found this lovely bush where the cones have an almost berry-like appearance. Once again, patterns in the cone itself, multiple cones and the kelly green needles that are short and growing out of the cones like a pineapple. I'm excited to post some drawings later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment